Volunteer FAQHave questions? We have the answers.
How do I become a Friends of Rowlett Animals volunteer?
Complete the Volunteer Application
Complete a city application (directions given once volunteer application is approved)
Register and Complete the Online Volunteer Orientation
Register and Attend Animal Handling Training
Volunteer and Have Fun!
What are the volunteer requirements?
Volunteers are required to:
- Submit an online application – includes a Volunteer Agreement and a Release and Waiver of Liability
- complete the online orientation and participate in the animal handling training session
- Commit to a minimum of 48 hours per year, or an average of 4 hours a month
- Work as a team member with all volunteers
- Treat animals in our care with kindness – “It’s all about the animals”
- Represent Friends of Rowlett Animals and themselves in a professional manner and be an advocate for the organization and the shelter
- Treat shelter staff, other volunteers, and community members/visitors with respect
I’m under 18, can I volunteer?
The following rules apply to minors (under 18) interested in volunteering for Friends of Rowlett Animals:
- 16-17 years old – be supervised by a parent/guardian unless parent provides a parent waiver after youth and parent complete the online orientation and both participate in the animal handling training (youth and parent must each submit an individual online application)
- 12-15 years old – be supervised by a parent/guardian at all times after youth and parent complete the online orientation and both participate in the animal handling training (youth and parent must each submit an individual online application)
For any minor volunteer, a parent or legal guardian must also fill out the online application and complete the online orientation and both participate in the animal handling training.
Can I just come play with the dogs and/or cats?
Only oriented and trained volunteers may handle the animals. It is all about the animals (and your) safety.
What can I do as a Friends of Rowlett Animals Volunteer?
FRAs volunteer opportunities range from marketing, fostering, fundraising, adoptions, photography, and more. Learn about our available volunteer opportunities.
Does it cost anything to volunteer?
There is no fee to complete the online orientation, participate in the animal handling training, or to volunteer. Once all training (Orientation and Animal Handling) is completed and you are approved to move forward, we do require all volunteers to purchase a t-shirt (and a leash if you are volunteering with dogs) that is to be worn when volunteering at the shelter and off-site events. This helps identify you as a trained volunteer and helps market our group to the community.
You can purchase our volunteer gear here
I need to fulfill court ordered community service hours, what do I do?
You will need to email the shelter at email@example.com
Can I receive documentation of my hours for a requirement of a school program or organization I am in?
I completed the online application, now what?
I’m having problems with the volunteer application. How can I get help?
You should contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
How long will orientation take and what will we discuss?
I attended New Volunteer Orientation, now what?
After you complete the New Volunteer Orientation video and quiz, you will receive an email letting you know that you are qualified to attend the Animal Handling Training (AHT) with directions on how to register for the training. You can sign up for an AHT time slot on MyImpactPage’s Opportunities page under Volunteer Training.
Feel free to email us at email@example.com for any other questions you might have.
Ready to become a volunteer?
See our volunteer page for more information, or complete our Volunteer Application today. You’ll then receive an email with information and next steps, which include our online orientation and hands-on animal handling training.